NestledinaBook

Nestled in a Book

I love Romance, New Adult, and Erotica books. I love sharing the books and authors that I love with people who have that in common or others who might not have ever known about them.

Eversea: a love story

Eversea - Natasha Boyd I don't know what happened.  I don't know why I didn't read this book as soon as I heard about it.  I remember when it came out.  I remember seeing it all over some of my favorite blogs being raved about.  Somehow I just skimmed over it.  When trying to decide what book to read next, I saw this one and couldn't remember what it was about so I read the synopsis for a refresher.  As soon as I read it, I had to start it right then.  I don't know what happened for this not to have been my reaction the first time.  Because I literally couldn't get the book fast enough.  Then it was torture because I've been so busy between work and being a mom of a rambunctious two-year-old girl that I barely had any time to dedicate to it.  For two days I was like a junkie needing a fix, because I had just enough of a taste to hook me.  I knew I was  going to love it.  And those are the best kind, aren't they?  The ones that you know are special from only a few pages in.  It gives you the opportunity to really savor it and soak it all in.  And they're rare, so it's a special feeling when you know you've found one.

I went to bed at three o'clock this morning because I couldn't put it down.  I never do that.  Sometimes I read because I can't sleep, but I never can't sleep because I have to read.  Thank God it's the weekend.  I slept later today than I have since becoming a mom.  Thank God for awesome husbands, too.  I got up just long enough to see my daughter get her Easter basket and then I was back in bed.  Winner of the Bad Mom Award, right here!

I just wanted you to get a clear picture.  Are you getting it?  This book hooked me, consumed my thoughts, made me fall in love.  But enough about me.  I think you get it.

He was like a bright and beautiful rogue planet. He pulled the entire galaxy into a gravitational wobble until he got close enough to suck you in and tilt your axis head over heels.

Oh, Jack.  Jack.  Jack.  Jack.  Just reading, or saying, or thinking the name Jack Eversea gives me butterflies.  Alright... focus.

Keri Ann Butler is the leading lady and voice of this story and I love her.  She holds her own and gives as good as she gets.  She doesn't pull any punches.  She's quick-witted, sharp-tongued, and hard-working. (That's a lot of hyphenated descriptors.)  Death has claimed all of her family, save her brother, Joey, but she's stronger for it.  She lives in her family's historic home, nestled in the coastal town of Butler Cove, South Carolina, and works as a waitress while her brother finishes med school.  Then it will be her turn.

But things change when a mysterious stranger enters the restaurant, wearing a hoodie and a hat pulled down low, looking more like a dangerous criminal running from the law than the A-list movie star that he is.  Until he reveals himself.

I was just minding my own business and someone lobbed a grenade into my life— in the form of Jack Eversea.

Of course Keri Ann knows who he is.  He's the star of the film adaptation of her favorite book.  She's in love with his character.  But Keri Ann doesn't giggle and faint when she's nervous or starstruck, no.  She goes on the offense.  She scolds him, puts him in his place, tells him that he was rude and lectures him on proper manners and how he should behave.  She doesn't fawn over him, or tell him how talented he is, or ask for his autograph and it's so far removed from what Jack is used to that it completely takes him off guard.

Jack is trying to escape the latest scandal centered around his cheating girlfriend and the noise of Hollywood.  There is only one person who knows where he is, his friend and owner of the home that Jack has temporarily borrowed and he wants to keep it that way.  But that means that he is essentially a prisoner to the palatial house on the beach.  He can't even go to the grocery store, especially in a small town where word travels fast, without being had.

Since Keri Ann is now the only other person who knows his whereabouts, he swears her to secrecy and then propositions her.  If she will do his grocery shopping so he can at least keep from starving to death, then he will use his background in construction to help restore her family's historic home.  Deal!

The more time they spend together, the more they get to know one another.  The words coming out of her mouth let him know that she is unimpressed by him, but the desire she feels for him is written all over her.  She's been too busy dealing with the losses in her life and the aftermath of them to have any experience with men to speak of, so she hasn't mastered the art of taming her body's natural reactions to a tall, muscular, sometimes-shirtless, sickeningly beautiful man.

Keri Ann has always thought of herself as the simple girl next door, and the lack of male attention all her life only serves to reinforce that self-image.  But unbeknownst to her, that has more to do with the fact that her brother threatened anyone who might dare come near her.  She can't fathom that the hottest man in Hollywood would ever find her attractive, especially when he's been dating the hottest woman in Hollywood for the last few years.  What does a small town waitress have to offer versus a shiny, polished, talented, and beautiful starlet?

“It’s amazing… that you seem to have no idea how fucking beautiful you are.”

They exist for a few days in bubble, unaffected by the outside world, getting to know each other as just two people.  Just Keri Ann and Jack.  Their mutual attraction sparks and catches fire.  But when the reason for Jack's escape finds him and shows up unannounced, it's a bucket of ice water.

How could the perfect man come along and tell you he was feeling all the same feelings you were, but you couldn’t keep him?

Jack leaves Keri Ann behind without explanation, excuse, or apology.  How can she ever go back to living life the way she once did, as if nothing had ever happened?  Everything had happened.  But she's never let herself be the victim, and she won't start now.  Just add it to the list of losses in her life and move on.  That's the only option that Jack left her with anyway.

I was like a piece of that sea glass lying forgotten in a jar upstairs. A discarded shard that had been washed and tumbled back and forth by the momentum of the sea, only to wash up in Butler Cove and stay stuck and forgotten without any hope of becoming something more. Something more beautiful.

This book ends on a cliffhanger, but lucky for you (and me!), the follow-up book, Forever, Jack, is already available.  I'm going to start it right now!

I've been very lucky lately in that every book I've read has been so good.  I'm on a complete book high and I don't ever want to come down.  I've discovered several authors that I love, some of which are new and some of which are just new to me.  Natasha Boyd is one of those.  I feel like I've discovered buried treasure.  She's wickedly talented.  I can't wait to see what she will bring us in the future.

Connect with Nestled in a Book